Institutional Police Officer
Public Safety and Security
Under supervision, provides police services designed to provide assistance and protection to members of the University community and its guests. To enforce the rules, laws and regulations of the University and of the State of New Jersey.
1. Patrols and maintains security of all campus properties, as well as contiguous streets.
2. Responsible for making reports, both oral and written, of any irregularities, dangerous conditions, accidents and any other circumstances requiring police assistance.
3. Responds to and investigates calls for service and citizen complaints; initiates corrective action when appropriate and completes thorough written reports accurately describing action taken.
4. Acts in accordance with provisions of the New Jersey Criminal Code and Departmental policies and procedures.
5. Proactively prevent crime by engaging in foot, vehicle and bicycle patrols of the entire campus and surrounding areas.
6. Must be able to remain calm and decisive in emergencies, performing all duties tactfully and judiciously with a high degree of professionalism.
7. Contributes to the professional image of the Department and the University by conforming to standards of dress, conduct and behavior.
8. Maintains crowd control during university events.
9. Takes needed action as to suspicious persons and conditions and reports significant actions, occurrences and conditions and other matters within the field of police operations.
10. Provides police protection when large sums of money are in transit.
11. Gives first aid in the case of accidents or emergencies.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
-Must be a US citizen
-Must possess a valid drivers license.
-Must pass NJSACOP written and oral exams and one or more oral interviews.
-Must pass medical and psychological examinations as required.
-Must be high school graduate or equivalent.
-Must be able to qualify with the department issued firearm pursuant to the schedule and course of fire as determined by the Attorney General of New Jersey.
-Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
-Ability to take direction and work harmoniously with associates, superior officers, campus visitors, students, faculty and others.