Institutional Research Data Analyst
Executive Director, Office of Institutional Effectiveness, Dr. Charles R. Brooks
Reporting to the Executive Director, Office of Institutional Effectiveness, the Institutional Research Data Analyst will perform data gathering and extraction to maintain, analyze and report measures from NJIT’s data systems to internal and external survey publications, federal data reporting systems and ad-hoc requests for institutional data. The data analyst will perform statistical analysis and institutional assessment using internal and external data sources. The analyst will also present data using data visualization and be responsible for automating updates to the Institutional Fact Book.
• Complete and return external surveys, understand IPEDS regulations and US News requirements to optimize responses; stay up-to-date on regulations and procedures regarding reporting to IPEDS, US News, and other reporting requirements by attending workshops, webinars, etc.;
• Respond to internal data requests;
• Perform data extractions from various sources including databases such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MYSQL, MS Excel, etc., utilizing SQL programming and COGNOS queries;
• Adher to best practices, provide data management support for all OIE needs;
• Automate routine and recurrent data gathering needs for internal requests and external surveys;
• Document all recurrent processes and procedures, including code used to extract and report data;
• Collaborate with OIE staff colleagues to develop a shared repository that would contain code necessary for routine and basic data procedures and instructions for those procedures;
• Collaborate with and support colleagues in the use of visualization and reporting software (SSRS, Power BI, Tableau, etc.) to build a comprehensive and interactive OIE website, especially focusing on automation of the Fact Book and dashboards for senior administrators;
• Assist in identifying key performance indicators for institutional effectiveness;
• Collaborate with other staff to insure quality assurance for data sets, forms, ad-hoc aggregates, statistical reporting and ad-hoc data visualization reports;
• Collaborate and assist OIE staff in statistical research such as running regression models, t-tests and other tests of statistical significance, correlation techniques, and other social science statistical methods ;
• Create PowerPoint slides and presentations for senior management as needed.
Quality Assurance/Attention to Detail:
Accomplishes tasks through concern for all areas involved no matter how small. Shows concern for all aspects of the job. Accurately checks for processes and tasks and follows up in a timely manner with appropriate persons. Has the desire to see things accomplished logically, clearly, and well. This takes various forms including monitoring and checking work or information, insisting on the clarity of roles and duties, and setting up and maintaining information systems.
Results Orientation/Project Management:
Works to achieve desired policy and program outcomes. This includes setting goals and priorities to maximize the use of resources available to consistently deliver results against departmental objectives.
Independently takes action to influence events. Offers own ideas for improvement to promote the goals of the organization. Seeks feedback from appropriate persons on effects of actions. Identifies a problem, obstacle or opportunity and takes action to address current or future problems or opportunities, within the scope of position as authorized.
-Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Big Data, Applied Data Science, or related field
-Experience in data reporting and analysis
-Competence in SQL and data analysis
Experience in Institutional Research