Database and Applications Developer
Igor Sorin, Director, Information Technology
Under the supervision of the Director of Information Technology, the Database and Applications Developer is a technical business analyst with a deep understanding of the business processes, planning information systems, and technologies supporting the NJTPA. The position identifies opportunities for IT service and business and planning process improvements using information technology; configures and tests implementation options for grant management and planning information systems; develops and implements reporting solutions; builds workflow automation routines; and supports the IT and enterprise information systems needs of management and end users.
The Database and Applications Developer will apply their skills in technical analysis, programming, and database development to maintain in-house applications and advance application development and data integration amongst internal and external data sources, enterprise platforms, and client web portals. They will be responsible for developing Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) solutions and data application program interfaces (APIs), as well as developing business intelligence (BI), reporting, and visualization solutions to support core department functions. Spatial data is frequently used by staff; therefore, the position will require working with the ArcGIS platform, ArcPy, and other geospatial platforms and associated APIs.
• Application Development: Write original source code and be able to program with latest technologies – such as software applications (Web & Desktop) on .Net platform using C#.Net, ASP.Net, Microsoft (MS) SQL Server, SharePoint, and Java Script.
• Data Integration: Developing application and data integration solutions between disparate sources. Integration of client web portals and in-house front-end applications with server-side programming by leveraging RESTful API services using open source and vendor-specific frameworks.
• Data Processing: Interfacing with our core enterprise systems, including SAP, Esri ArcGIS, and MS Office 365 (SharePoint, Power BI, Project Online) to acquire data and transform data such that it can be used to produce insights relevant to the agency’s core planning initiatives and federal reporting requirements.
• Data Visualization: design data models and visual representations for a variety of audiences both technical and non-technical to facilitate understanding and promote decision-making. This includes building dashboards and reports using BI/Reporting tools such as Power BI, Crystal Reports, and Tableau.
• Data Services: Design and develop automated workflows for our core enterprise systems to streamline data interaction and data processing tasks.
• Support staff information system development needs agency wide.
• Manage consultant resources as needed.
• Assist Director in providing staff with ongoing training with new products related to systems.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Technical Proficiency: Demonstrates technical expertise in a wide range of advanced academic and research computing areas.
• Achievement/Goal Orientation: Demonstrates a concern and aptitude for achieving or surpassing results against an internal or external standard of excellence, showing passion for improving the delivery of services with a commitment to continuous improvement. • Initiative: Evaluates, selects and acts on various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives within parameters of position before being asked or required to do so; self-directed rather than passively complying with instructions or assignments.
• Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Demonstrates a mature logic, analytic aptitude and creativity in the approach to issues demanding resolution, by drawing on one’s own expertise and experience base while utilizing other references and resources as necessary.
• Accomplishment Aptitude: Establishes and follows through on a systematic course of action for self or others to assure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively producing desired results at the level expected for the position.
• Customer Focus: Focuses one’s efforts on identifying and meeting internal and external customer’s needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer, within the parameters of the position and the available resources, cognizant of departmental and /or university policy and authorized practices.
• Adapting to Change: Responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
• Teamwork/Team Orientation: Willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties; works cooperatively with others to accomplish departmental and university objectives.
• Continuous Improvement: Continually seeks and achieves incremental improvements in work processes, results and capabilities.
• Organizational Awareness: Understands the agendas and perspectives of others, recognizing and effectively balancing the interests and needs of one's own group with those of the broader organization.
• Communication: Demonstrates the ability to clearly express ideas, thoughts, and concepts verbally and/or in writing, as appropriate to the position and task at hand.
• Professionalism: Conducts oneself at all times in an ambassadorial, committed and personable manner demonstrating respect for the position, fellow colleagues, departmental integrity and the university’s best interests.
Graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field.
Minimum four years’ relevant programming experience, including demonstrated working knowledge and competency, and/or understanding of:
• programming language, such as C#, Python, or Node.js;
• ASP.NET and/or .NET Core; • relational database concepts and architecture, and database management system (DBMS) technology, such as MS SQL Server and Access;
• reporting tools (Cognos, PL/SQL, Crystal Reports, MS Excel, MS Access)
• ETL development and tools such as MS SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS); and
• cloud and open APIs.
At the university’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
• Experience with ESRI ArcGIS, ArcPy, or other geospatial platform, and geospatial APIs.
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines (continuous integration and continuous delivery).
• Understanding of BI and Data Warehouses. • Knowledge of best practices for security, usability, and performance of web applications.
• Experience with at least one modern front-end framework/library, such as Angular, React, and Vue.